12.14.2010

Status: MARRIED

In the nursing profession, we have lots of choices. A registered nurse, meaning a graduate of a 4-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) and passed the Nursing Board given by the Philippine Regulation Commission (PRC) can start a career in the many fields of this branch of medicine. In my case, I first used my nursing know-how in PCDOM as a missionary sister with additional assignment. Some call us health sisters. For 10 months (which is very unusual for a missionary because ideally, during my time, we stay in a single area to a maximum of 6-8 months), I stayed in Cagayan de Oro City, Misamis Oriental and there, served three (3) wards - Patag, Bulua and Kauswagan. We have specific time to proselyte (finding people to teach) and at the same time, do some office work in the mission office with male missionaries we call elders. A certain elder named Elder Libria was at that time, worked as a supply manager. We were good friends with other elders in the office, including the assistants to the Mission president and the couple missionaries who regularly stay in the office. Part of my job was to travel with the mission president and his wife all over the northern coastline of Mindanao Island and its neighboring cities, did surprise apartment checks, gave gamma globulin shots to missionaries every 3 months, provided medical info and updates, orienting incoming missionaries of health hazards in the area and delivered medical missions. I believe one legacy my companion, Rose De Guzman and I left in Cagayan de Oro mission was our mission health booklet, that little red booklet we worked hard on to be printed for missionaries reference regarding health and other health matters. I still have a copy of this booklet with me. Kept it as a remembrance.

I officially started my nursing career, however, after my mission, at Bethany Hospital, an 80 bed capacity tertiary hospital in San Fernando, La Union, my hometown. For 3 months, I enjoyed attending duties maybe because at that time, I was also very much inspired. Yes, that was the time I was engaged to be married! Couldn't you imagine a young (?) 23 year old woman fresh from spiritual adventure, now starting a career and also focused to becoming a wife in few weeks? It was overwhelming! Yet, I knew what I wanted. I WANT TO BE MARRIED! To whom? To that supply manager I met in the mission! My family, more so, my father did not like the idea of me getting married very soon. He has other plans for me. But I was very starightforward in telling them, I want to settle down. See, I was hardheaded not giving heed to my father who said, "hindi porke gwapo me ibubuga". Let me translate that with more emphasis: LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING. Am I saying that the man I married to was handsome? Forgive me, everyone, but I will say this once and for all - HE WAS! You can tell by my daughter's looks. It runs in the genes. LOL. Besides, I am blessed with a 20/20 vision so I can tell what's the difference between handsome and merely good looking! Don't forget, I was at that time in seventh heaven! So please, don't say otherwise. But after 10 years, I could say, fathers know best!

I eventually resigned after 3 months of work at Bethany Hospital. Why? I said I'm going to get married. After the marriage ceremony, solemnized in the Manila Philippines Temple, October 16, 1993, I opted to stay with my husband in Valenzuela City, Metro Manila, a 5-6 hour ride via bus from my hometown. Abandoning everything, including that of my American dream, we started a family, a family that should have lasted til the eternities -an eternal family, where we can be together forever. Such a music to my ear! But eventually, that dream remained to be a dream!

Him, working as a promo representative of Dockers, under Levi's company and me as a plain housewife. Yes, you heard it right. A PLAIN HOUSEWIFE! Can you imagine how I must have looked physically staying at home 24/7, rearing my first baby, learning to cook, doing the laundry, cleaning the house, budgetting, etc. Not to mention the frightening thought of getting the approval of my in-laws! And did I get their approval? Haha, why not ask them?

Left with no choice, I decided to just enjoy being a mother and a wife. Afterall, it's every married woman's dream to stay at home to pamper their husband, serve them and their kids while preparing a sumptous meal and eating together after a child's angelic voice pronounced the blessing of the food, very well said as taught either by the excited father or the anxious mother then end the day with a family prayer. What an ideal family, indeed!

Kryztl, our firstborn, was a blessing and a joy. After 4 years, Knycole came and she added more to my joy! They both showed me the real meaning of the noun "motherhood'. Afterall, motherhood is the holiest thing alive. I thank them for giving me that opportunity to be "holy"! Did i regret it? No, I didn't. I was happy, I was contented, I was satisfied.........but I was betrayed! Not by my kids, but the father of my kids. How? Let me do that next time. By the way, the name of my daughter's father is Rommel.

7 comments:

  1. I have to admit, i was very curious but did not want to be nosy :-)Tapos ngayon bitin!!!!! Tapusin mo yan Ginalyn ka baka mawalang galang si ako LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flery Ambas Ganggoec21 December, 2010 14:47

    December 15 at 12:32am via Facebook

    woo ma'am i really salute u for simply ho u r.... 2 thumbs up 4 ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. December 15 at 1:54am via Facebook

    I enjoyed reading your blog, look forward to more xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. December 15 at 3:16am via Facebook

    kauban your blog is getting exciting can't wait to read the next one..

    ReplyDelete
  5. huh it's getting more exciting and simply suspenseful every stanza of it. i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Via Facebook

    yan yung mga answers sa questions ko kanina sayo..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flery Ambas Danggoec28 March, 2011 05:44

    Via Facebook:

    "Most children threaten at times to run away from home. This is the only thing that keeps some parents going." - Phyllis Diller

    ReplyDelete