12.13.2010

How I Found My Church

One of my anxieties when I arrived in KSA is where to find my Church. Rhaponzolo Chansing, a friend and a missionmate, who worked here in Saudi and is now based in Canada, emailed me weeks before my departure that a Church exists near my place. The issue is, this is Saudi Arabia!

My arrival at Dammam Medical Complex was filled with fear and negativity. The only positive force that drove me to stay put with my decision is the knowledge that I will someday find the warm embrace of a Church I sticked on to and the soon-to-be fellowship of the members who do believe in the same Gospel I have testified to be true.

But things didn't start out right as I expect it to be. I was left hanging who to contact, where to go and what to do - spiritual matter-wise. Now came the challenge. Ma'am Carmen, a Filipina and one of our nursing educators at DMC, in her serene, happy countenance equipped with a positive outlook in life became a confidante and helped us overcome our "fears". No sooner than we became friends, she then invited us over to their congregation. This is another sect who believe in God, in Jesus Christ, as the Savior and the Redeemer. Who doesn't need a spiritual strength at the time we were starting a career in a country who don't believe in the same God I have worshipped my whole life? I do. And the invitation paved the way for me and three other friends, to consistently attend their Church, while I wait for the time I find mine. Honestly, the first time was quite an experience! The warm welcome, smiles, hugs and fellowship was overwhelming. We were even asked to stand infront to introduce ourselves and to "bear our testimonies". I cried when I shared mine. I started with, "I admire you, people, who've exerted your efforts to gather together to worship Jesus Christ in this place who do not believe in the Savior". They were clapping their hands and saying "Praise the Lord" while I speak.

Now, if you're to ask me, did I REALLY enjoy their congregation? Admittedly,I did! But in my heart, I am missing something and I exactly knew what that was. You call me self righteous but those were the times I never faltered to ask and plead to a Father in Heaven to help me find my Church. And did He give me a quick answer? No, He didn't. It took me another week when I finally got in touch with Alvin, a former colleague and a member of my Church. He gave me names and phone numbers to contact so I could finally go to Church. But as I said, this is Saudi Arabia! Not much freedom when it comes to religion and (and women driving) so I patiently waited. I even started re-evaluating myself how worthy I am to deserve such a blessing. On my 3rd week, I was contacted by sisters who arranged my ride. Unfortunately, no one was available to come pick me up. I was already on my 4th week and I felt a little depressed that no one seem to care. Then on a late Thursday afternoon, a woman with a British accent gave me a call asking my address and arranged for my ride the next day, Friday. I still remember the excitement and how I hurried up to iron my clothes in preparation for the Sabbath. The next day, I woke up very early to prepare myself for my very first real worship in the middle east.

October 1, 2010, at 9 a.m., a British family showed up in their white Hyundai. We agreed to meet infront of the Medical Tower, which is the best landmark I could give since I haven't familiarized myself with the streets near my place. (Until now, I only knew one street - Al Mustashfa St. Mustashfa, meaning hospital). A white man in his white polo and black pants, standing near his car was waving his hands when I saw him few meters from the main building of the hospital where I work and where I was standing waiting for them. By the way, I don't live IN the hospital; instead in the hostel at the back of this 6 story building where I stood waiting. And today, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jackie and Lee who have exerted their effort to pick me up that day. I've never told you, guys how grateful I am for showing up that morning. (Thank you also, Hyundai for installing a navigator, they found me). Indeed, the feeling of "no longer a stranger but fellowcitizens unto the Saints" was true to that day I entered a place of worship and shook hands with members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

3 comments:

  1. December 14 at 6:59am via Facebook

    I like your blog kauban. you are a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Aizza Hachuela Canullas21 December, 2010 15:00

    December 14 at 7:42am via Facebook

    great ate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. putcha pinatulo mo naman luha ko sa blog mo nato sis gie.

    ReplyDelete