12.11.2010

Blogging: I've Been Wanting To Do This

I was a very busy careerwoman and a mom. I'm one of those who value time the most. I believe it's a God-given gift that should not be taken granted of.

Prior to coming to Saudi Arabia, I engaged in doing business while I work as a Clinical Instructor at the University of Baguio. My job requires me to travel every 3 days, sometimes 6, to different areas of assignment, mostly an hour to a max of 8 hour-travel, depending on the area I am assigned at. I handle 10-12 students a day in an 8-hour rotation, orienting them of hospital set up, protocol, overseeing what they do in the clinical area, teaching and providing lectures, administer quizzes and exams. However, there's one thing I do in the area which was not included in our Clinical Teaching Plan- setting time to bond with my young students by simply talking to them. Most of the time, they would open up their emotional hang ups, their frustrations, their soon-to-be career, their expectations and dreams, their sorrows and joys, their experiences and even their lovelife. Few of them opened up the story of their lives from the beginning up to that point when they met me and an 8-hour duty wasn't enough. I guess, sometimes it's what they really needed- a listening ear and an understanding heart. Honestly, it's the one thing I miss about the Univesity of Baguio - those times I have to sit beside or infront of a student during evaluation time, that very time when I tell them my observations and uplift them by telling their potentials and not degrade them because they made a mistake or they did not behave properly during duty hours. The hugs, kisses and thank yous made me realized that at the end of the day,  it's me who have learned a great deal from these young ones.

I am also a mother of two- Kryztl, 16 and Knycole, 12. The demand of being a mom and a full time employee, with some business on the side is not easy. It's even very frustrating at times. On my day off (which is only one day a week), my youngest daughter would often fret on me and wanting all my attention, without thinking how mommy must have worked so hard and must she been tired? She would want me to watch her favorite Barbie cartoons with her or listen to her story telling galore, while we lie down in bed, with her head laid on my left shoulder. She would demand for a kiss on her cheek every 15 minutes, and that's what made me shed tears when it popped up to my mind now that I am a million miles away from them. Kryztl, on the other hand wants a little privacy and the only time, which I guess was the most wonderful time I spent with her, was when we talk for hours before retiring to bed, telling me her ideologies, observations, dreams and fears and her frustrations. She's a good conversationalist and I enjoy those moments I spent privately with her.

I equally love my daughters. After all, the reason why I am here in the Middle East is for us to be geared up with our plans to migrate to Canada -so we could be physically together again. This "little sacrifice" was a mutual agreement between them and me. At their young age, I believe they have understood the purpose of me leaving them behind for the meantime. They did not ask me a single question why I am here and why they were left in the Philippines with their grandmother. With that foundation, I know we are heading towards our goal.

I do business to add up to our finances. It's where I met individuals from all walks of life. Needless to say, some of my acquiantances became my friends, some enemies. After all, when money is involve, anything can happen.

To balance my hectic schedule, I never neglected my spiritual needs. I am a Mormon, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Baptized 1979, with my dad. I was active for awhile but when he went to KSA, I was left hanging on my newfound belief (I was 9 years old at that time). My mom was a Catholic but soon baptized after a 3-year grueling investigation in the Church. And she was a convert! Then she was followed by my brothers and my sister. I thank my mom for bringing me back to Church.

After graduation from college, my dad insisted me to find a job and soon join my aunt (his sister) in the U.S. "where money is" for nurses. But I wanted so much to go on a mission. Left with two choices, it's my mom who mediated with my decision. I vividly remember her saying, "It's an opportunity of a lifetime. If you really want to serve, then go. Who knows? You might find the guy to marry in the mission?" It's was a joke that became a reality. Until now, she regretted that statement. Well, I will not write the tale of how I found the guy to marry and soon, left me and my kids. But I may do it sometime, when I get the nerve to relive the pain and the inspiration to share what I learned from that experience.

So I was called to serve in the Philippines Cagayan de Oro Mission in the island of Mindanao, served for 1 year and 7 months, got married after 6 months, built a family for 10 years and left alone with my 2 kids for the next 8 years, but with in that time, never faltered with my belief. I continued on with my spiritual foundation that I belong to the true Church of God and the Gospel would bring me to a highest degree of happiness IF I endure well my mortal existence. My Church callings made me a better person. Serving in the ward and stake level have given me the opportunity to level up my potential. I never regretted the time, efforts, money, talents, that I invested in my Church.

So what inspired me to do blog? Yesterday, I read from one of  my friends FB shoutouts: I want to do blogging. And I told myself, why not me? I have all the time to do facebooking, why not blogging? It's been an interest wayback when I heard of the word BLOG and have read many blogs; yet, time-wise, I was deprived. Now that I've been bestowed with time (less 8-9 hours for my duty), I believe I can spend at least 2 hours the most to compose my thoughts to update and share what I experienced, what I feel, learned or relearned, what's in my  mind, and what I expect. And I hope this is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment