8.20.2015

SEX AND INTIMACY: To discuss or not to discuss with your kids

When Kryztl was 5 years old, she came to me asking how she came to the world and how she was "formed". I always knew that this time will come but not this early. Yet, I was ready. I sat down with her, took my nursing book and talked to her like an adult. I started with the human anatomy, explaining in detail with pictures. I showed pictures of the male and female reproductive organs, her eyes curiously looking at each item I point at. She wasn't asking questions tho' but I remember asking many, to be sure she understood. The most challenging part of the lecture was the physiological aspect. I wasn't sure if I need to be brutally honest or withhold some information; yet, I decided to be straightforward explaining every detail, using language she usually hear from people who indiscreetly use these words. At the end of the lecture, which I vividly remember took a couple of hours on one hot afternoon in our home in Valenzuela City, she hugged and thanked me for not being angry for her asking. I assured her she've got a friend in me and she has to trust me with things like this. I always make sure that her mommy has always the ear to hear and a heart to understand. 

Knycole was different. It didn't come early nor were there questions. Hers was firsthand. I brought her to the Delivery and Operating Room where an actual birth was taking place. I was a Clinical Instructor at the University of Baguio and as I taught my students, I was also teaching my daughter without the book but with the actual experience of what transpired on the body of the woman who just have given birth to a baby. I have used the words intimacy, love, marriage, sex in a way that they appear sacred and needs to be treated sacred.  

I kept emphasizing that these topics aren't laughing stock! They exist and it is part of the plan, a plan that emphasize of the sanctity of marriage, the importance of a family, of a man and a woman and believing and giving heed to these principles will bring joy and happiness here in mortality and in the life to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment