3.23.2015

CANADIAN DREAM: Part 6: CANADIAN ORIENTATION ABROAD

Arrived at Citibank Plaza in Paseo de Roxas, Makati at 6:30 am but wasn't allowed inside the building yet because IOM (International Organization for Migration) office opens at 7 am. Waited for half an hour at the nearest Jollibee store and went back at exactly 7. IOM office is located at the 24th floor. There were few people in line to register when I arrived. The receptionist, who speaks American English looked for my passport with my visa and the visa letter from the Canadian Embassy. Registration done on the computer and then was given free ballpen and note pad after I registered.

Sat on the right side of the room because there's an electrical socket nearby. My iPad was low batt and I need to recharge. Seminar started at exactly 8am. Miss Cecilia Leung, the speaker introduced herself before she let us introduce ourselves. There were at least 30 applicants inside the room, 98% nurses who were bound to the different provinces of Canada. There were 6 of us who are going to British Columbia and we were the noisiest group. 

We were introduced to the country, their culture, their people, their weather, type of transportation, holidays, lifestyle and many more. Pretty interesting that when I think of my Saudi experience, 80% was work, 2% fun and the rest were stress. And now I'm going to a free country. But in all honesty, the thought of leaving behind my kids gives me a higher dose of stress again. I knew exactly the feeling! However, since I planned for it, I am determined to go.

Snacks (Jollibee humburger) was provided. Coffee and tea were overflowing but I don't drink them. I had cold water for drinks the whole time. We were then introduced to the different requirements from the Philippine government to accomplish in order for us to get to the land of Maple leaf. This is where we got time to talk as a group. Found out that there were several documents that a future employee need to accomplish prior to be given an exit clearance. Mind you, it's quite expensive considering that I live in the province and some documents need be accomplished in POEA and OWWA in Manila.

I was sleepy in between. My travel from La Union to Manila was 6 hours plus another 30 minutes going to Makati. I was at Jollibee-Paseo de Roxas before 6 am sipping my hot choco while I waited for the sunrise. 'Tho at Makati Business District, people started early and I can see men and women already in their corporate uniforms walked to their respective offices. Not a very scary place to roam around even at this time of the day.

Lunch was served and afternoon session started at 1:10pm. I sneaked out to have phone calls and naps in between. I threw in few questions which was satisfactorily answered by Miss Leung. The seminar lasted til 5pm. We had picture taking and she gave us booklets to review in preparation for our trip to Canada. All in all, the seminar was informative. Speaker did well. And I learned bits and pieces about the country I was about to be a part of, maybe til my lifetime.






















No comments:

Post a Comment