7.22.2015

The Deportation Threat PART I

A threat is a statement of an intention  to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done, with synonyms threatening remark, warning ultimatum.

Not everyday we encounter threats in our lives. The most devastating would have been a death threat but I've never received any of these and hopefully not. Yet today I was threatened for deportation.

I am in Canada under the Live in Caregiver Program, on working visa or with the Temporary Work Permit. Being a live in has repercussions. Although I am bound with the contract I signed with the employer, there might be slight changes in the actual work place.

For four (4) months, I've worked entirely with an 86-year old woman who has dementia and get most of the instructions from her youngest son from Tokyo, Japan. Another person involved in the direct supervision of my job is their caretaker for more than a decade and I guess, we've gotten along very well with the set up. I believe I have executed to the best of my ability my functions as a caregiver, although this is the first time I am doing this kind of job.

Came July 10, the elder son and his family from Singapore came for a 2-week vacation and they stayed with us in the house from the day they arrived until July 17. I personally find it odd to have other persons around since I'm not used to dealing with any of the relatives on personal basis. This would be the first time.

I would say the first personal encounter wasn't very pleasant. When they rang the bell, we, my client and I came to the door to open it but they were on the other door so we didn't see them immediately. Saw their 5 luggages at the door 'tho so we know it's them. I called them from the carport and they came walking towards the entrance door smile-less. When they entered the house, the wife said I go help her husband take the luggages inside which I refused to do because these are heavy luggages. Besides, I know her husband is capable plus the fact that this isn't a part of my job. Me volunteering can be but they can't force me to do it. And so maybe that's how the annoyance started it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment